If Britney Spears is overrated as a singer and underrated as a public drunk, Pete Doherty is the opposite. Iâ€™ve never been a huge Libs fan, but much of Dohertyâ€™s quieter work is interesting, even sweet, kind of like old Kinks tunes. Check out these unreleased recordings.
1. Albion. This is the second take of a simple, acoustic ditty from The Baby Shambles Sessions; itâ€™s still being roughed out, but thatâ€™s often where true genius shines through. You know, before it gets produced to death.
3. Janie Jones (Clash cover)-Babyshambles. The rare example of a Clash cover that is almost as good as the original.
4. Babyshambles-The Libertines. The theme song for his current band back when it was his future band.
5. What a Waster-Adam Green (Libs cover). I donâ€™t dig his voice, but I like his take on the tune.
6. What Katie Did-The Libertines. I wish this song made sense, because Iâ€™m pretty sure I can figure out who itâ€™s about.
8. For Lovers-Wolfman and Pete Doherty. I love this tune. Didnâ€™t care for the rest of the record, though.
This one goes up to 11! Can’t Stand Me Now-Libertines