THE BEST ALBUMS OF 2020
2020 was the worst year of the decade. So far. But it’s ending on a higher note.
Foo Fighters, for me, summed up the year best in their SNL appearance…
That performance breaks me in two.
Unnecessary death. Babies separated from their parents. 1 in 4 Americans out of work. More senior staff indictments than the Nixon Administration. And he still almost won.
2020 was fucked up for sure. But some really great music came out.
Here’s just a little taste of it, and the bottom part of the countdown…
- The Curb Commentary EPs by E-40
- Introduction, Presence by Nation of Language
- La vita nuova by Christine and the Queens
- Likewise by Frances Quinlan.
- Loud is Not Enough by Enemy Radio
- Your Birthday’s Cancelled by Iron Wigs
30. Good Souls Better Angels by Lucinda Williams. Americana bordering on classic rock. Williams continues to satisfy.
29. A Hero’s Death by Fontaines DC. An excellent, thoughtful punk album. If you dig it, you might like Ultra Mono by Idles, although I will say that Idles’ latest is not nearly as good as their last one.
28. Wednesdays by Ryan Adams. I was unsure whether to include this given that his behavior has been reprehensible. But when judged solely as an Americana album, it warrants inclusion. Some of his best songwriting in ten years.
27. The Smartest by Tee Grizzley. Another strong entry in the catalog of a great, young rapper. If you like this, check out Unlocked by Denzel Curry, with production by Kenny Beats,
Click next to keep going!