1. MTV–the channel that shows nonstop reality shows about teens getting fucked up, fucking, and fucking up, believes it has the chops to pick the ten hottest MCs in rap today. Here’s what they came up with:
2. Lil Wayne
4. Kanye West
5. Rick Ross
6. Gucci Mane
7. Young Jeezy
9. 50 Cent
Aside from Kanye, Drake and Raekwon, not one of these artists released a relevant record in 2009. Lil’ Wayne did some singles, so I guess I get that. It’s hard to pick 10 rappers who matter the most today, so I guess I can’t argue that if money and sales=skillz, then this is a decent list. But if you’re going by record sales and popular accessibility, where’s Eminem? Where’s Nas, who gets more press than numbers than Drake, Ross, Gucci and Raekwon combined? And if you’re going by popularity, shouldn’t Wale and Kid Cudi be there instead of Drake or Rick Ross? Well, maybe that’s a toss up. All I know is, I wouldn’t buy an album by numbers 3, 5, 6, 8 or 9.
2. You know I love when the “Cover Me” blog does a full album, covered. This week: Radiohead’s Kid A. I tried to do this myself a few months ago, but I had too many holes I couldn’t fill. So, hat’s off (again) to Cover Me. Here’s one he missed:
National Anthem-Me’shell NdegeOcello
3. I can’t say I agree with all these, but they’re interesting . . . The 10 Most Racist/Stupid Moments on TV.
4. Luxury Wafers has a live set by Phenomenal Handclap Band.
5. Earlybird- Too Upside Down To Fuck (Diana Ross vs Dead Kennedys)