Everybody’s talking about Radiohead these days. Radiohead Radiohead Radiohead. But there was an artist who went online first–who refused to be a SLAVE to the major labels, took his act on the net, and even gave away his CD at shows. Yeah, that was the artist known as Prince who was formerly known as the Artist who was formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known As Prince who was formerly known as Prince who was formerly known as Prince Rogers Nelson, who also calls himself The Purple One.
A.K.A. Slave Shave.
Here’s my picks for the top 10 Prince songs. With covers!
P.S.-I’m sure you will disagree with one or more of my picks. Don’t be nasty, just drop a comment!
10. Nothing Compares 2 U. It’s a great tune, and it’s been covered by dozens of folks, but nobody made it their own like Sinead O’Connor. Of course, I’m not posting her studio version here. Buy it. But this one, you might not be aware of . . .
Nothing Compares 2U – Stereophonics (link courtesy of Retro Music Snob).
9. Darling Nikki. I love this song more for what it represents than for the actual tune–Prince has certainly made better songs musically, but this one broke a few barriers and it’s funny as hell.
Chickenhead Nikki-Cam’Ron and Prince (Tapemasters Inc.)
8. Partyman. The classic Batman soundtrack, one of the greatest soundtracks in history, spawned this phenomenal dance track.
7. Raspberry Beret.
Raspberry Beret-Hindu Love Gods (Warren Zevon and the R.E.M. band!)
6. I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man-Goo Goo Dolls
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man-My Morning Jacket
5. Seven. Lots of you probably haven’t even heard of this song, but it’s brilliant. Off his Glyph album.
4. When U Were Mine. Cyndi Lauper also did a hot version of this tune.
3. Sign O’ The Times. Lots of folks may find this song corny, but it was one of the first Prince songs that I put on repeat over and over right after I heard it. Another fantastic song from that double album was the highly underrated and brilliant Starfish and Coffee.
Crazy Times-Prince vs. Gnarls Barkley
Thug-A-Cated 4 Life (starfish and coffee)-Papoose
2. Purple Rain. G’head, tell me why I’m wrong. Then listen to that blazing solo. Then try to tell me again.
1. When Doves Cry. Simply the greatest divorce song ever.
When Doves Cry-The Be Good Tanyas
When Doves Cry-Barenaked Ladies