1. Not content to leave it all to us amateurs, the avant garde, offbeat, and sometimess brilliant Baby Teeth want you to know about their new Baby Teeth blog! Check out “Is This Love” (not a Bob Marley cover), among the other songs they are posting there. (One new song per week!)
2. I said before I’m not liking the new M.I.A. album as much as her first–there are a few solid cuts on it, but much of it leaves me cold. Still, I dig this mash up. Courtesy of The Hood Internet.
4. New Chuck Prophet! If you’ve never heard him (or never heard of him) it’s time! A great singer/songwriter. Freckles-Chuck Prophet. Here he is with Papa Mali on the soul classic, “People Get Ready.” And if that isn’t proof enough that he’s a cool muthafucka, he’s played live with Ryan Adams, the deacon of cool. Or, at least he was yesterday.
6. Passion of the Weiss always has good stuff. Now he’s offering a list of his 5 favorite animated shows, and the movies that followed them. I’m totally on board with his #1 and 2, but for the others he doesn’t seem to care if the movie that followed was actually any good . . . His omission of The Transformers is unforgivable. But at least he left off Fat Albert! When it comes to making little cartoons into good big movies, though, I guess there isn’t much to choose from.
And if cartoons are your thing, WFMU’s Beware the Block has a tribute to Hannah Barbara, complete with mp3s!
7. Retro Music Snob has The Nerves’ Hangin’ On The Telephone, which he says is the original of the Blondie tune. I haven’t verified that, but the tune sounds good.
9. Y’all know I’m a huge Clash fan. So I’m excited that Mick Jones’ new venture, Carbon/Silicon (he teamed up with Generation X’s Tony James) will finally release a new album, titled “The Last Post.” It drops October 8, but in the meantime they’re offering a bunch of songs for download at their site, including the great song, “The System” and “Falun Gong Love Song.” I can’t wait.