F is for
- Floyd the Barber-Nirvana. A rare live version from 1991. (YSI)
- Floaty-Petra Haden and Bill Frisell (Foo Fighters). One of my absolute favorite covers of all time. It took a song I was only lukewarm on to begin with and turned into something truly beautiful.
G is for
- A tracked tagged “Gothic Teen Spirit” by Nirvana (YSI). If any of you know the story behind this version, please share it in the comments. I love this take on this song–it’s so different, yet so similar. Like New Order doing Nirvana.
- Generator-Foo Fighters. A live version I’m including because I needed a G. Plus, it’s a pretty cool tune.
H is for
- Hole’s cover of Nirvana’s Pennyroyal Tea (YSI). The best song about abortion since “Lime in the Coconut.” (I know that’s just a rumor, but it’s such a great one.)
- Hole’s own tune: Asking For It (Live)-Hole. I figured I had to have a little Courtney repped here, and this is one of the best Hole songs and one of the best live performances I’ve heard by her, as well.
I is for
- In Bloom-Lotus (Nirvana)
- I Feel Fine-Nirvana (Beatles c0ver) (YSI). This is really just Dave Grohl fucking around on the drums. It’s pretty funny. He’s a great improviser.
J is for
- Junk. Immigrant Song-Nirvana (YSI). This is bad quality and it’s just a fragment. For completists only.
K is for
- Kurt and Courtney’s duet on “Pennyroyal Tea.”
- My Sharona-Nirvana (Knack cover).
- Kurt Cobain’s Cardigan-The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Okay, not a cover. A tribute. I still think it qualifies for this post.
- Kome back tomorrow for more!