2018 was an AWESOME year for movies. Here are my favorites.
- A few sequels that were good, but not as good as their predecessors: Deadpool 2, Creed II, Ocean’s 8.
- 44 Pages. Netflix Documentary about Highlights Magazine. Never got a theatrical release, but it’s really good.
- Upgrade. This was a B-movie at best, but it was chunks of violent fun.
20. The Old Man and the Gun. Robert Redford’s final film?
19. The Green Book. The anti-Miss Daisy.
18. Thoroughbreds. A frightening teen angst/revenge flick.
17. You Were Never Really Here. Hardcore violence. Really hardcore. Really, really violent.
16. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies. So much better than the revived cartoon!
15. A Quiet Place. Hey! That’s Jim from the Office!
14. Annihilation. Sci fi/world breaking mythology.
13. Incredibles 2. Good, Wholesome Heroics.
12. Beirut. International news historical dramatization.
11. Detroit. National news historical dramatization.
10. Ant-Man and the Wasp. Marvel’s sequel is much better than the first film.
9. Hereditary. Grown-Up, truly terrifying Horror.
8. First Reformed. Sad, slow, powerful Indie with an Ethan Hawke performance to beat all others.
7. Won’t You Be My Neighbor. Documentary reminding you that things were actually better before we all got so coarse.
6. BlacKkKlansman. Spike Lee’s most Spikish movie in years.
5. Sorry to Bother You. As radical and wild as any song by Boots’ rap group, The Coup. This movie is pure hip hop, through and through.
4. A Star is Born. Obvious, corny, schmaltzy and it still made me cry. Hell. It made everybody cry.
3. Black Panther (Marvel). ‘Nuff said.
2. The Notorious RBG. A documentary about a real-life superhero.
1. Avengers: Infinity War (Marvel). A truly great year for Marvel movies!