THE TOP 10 PREDICTABLY GREAT COMICS OF 2011
Let’s start with some standards: Ongoing, regular books that have been going on for over a year, and represent some of the best comics in the business.
10. S.H.I.E.L.D. It’s heady and hard to follow, but the art and writing are terrific.
9. The Amazing Spider-Man. A few missteps this year, but generally one of the best superhero books on the market with adventurous art and masterful storytelling.
8. Avengers Academy. I raved about this month in and month out, and if you’re not reading it, you’re an idiot.
7. X Factor. Year in and year out, a completely dependable workhorse of a book.
6. X-Force. This year, someone made me give a shit about Apocalypse. That man is Rick Remender.
5. The Walking Dead. A friend once asked me why I still read this, since every story arc is pretty much the same. I responded: Why do you still eat ice cream? Every time, it’s pretty much the same.
4. Secret Six. Now cancelled. (Sobs.)
3. Sweet Tooth. One of the only truly haunting comic books on the market.
2. DeadpoolMAX. I love this book. Love it!
Scott Snyder was hitting it out of the park before the renumbering, and he kept it up post-new-numbering. This isn’t listed as a “best reboot,” with the other new 52s mentioned below, because we’ve all been assured that all the pre-52 Morrison stuff is canon, and nothing other than that pre-52 stuff mattered anyway.
Hit the break for more best of stuff….